Friday, June 18, 2010

Buzz, Buzz, etc.

"Vuvuzela" goes on the list of new words I've learned this year, behind "beastmode" and before "blowout preventer," which is actually two words. As I understand it, the vuvuzela is a traditional South African plastic horn that is blown en masse at soccer games and has been one of the controversies surrounding this year's World Cup. Many find them annoying and think they should be banned.

I've read several articles that describe the drone of many vuvuzelas blasting at once as bee-like, and I agree. However, bees buzz at different frequencies, which allows one to know if the bees are happy or pissed off. Vuvuzelas have just one pitch. Which leaves me wondering, are the fans particularly pleased with what is happening, or are they blasting away as a way of voicing disagreement? Or both? It all sounds the same to me, which isn't bee-like at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment