Wednesday, November 17, 2010

How 'bout them mites?

It's been quite a while since I've posted anything about my bees, but lately I haven't been seeing much of them. That's because I decided to treat them with formic acid for the mite problem and the treatment requires them to be undisturbed for three weeks. I was very fortunate to get some pads for free from a beekeeper who shares the beeyard. He also let me borrow the extra woodenware that is needed to place the pads on top of the hive. Thanks!

So they've been treated and I removed the formic acid pads last Friday. I'm going to do a mite count this week to see how it worked. When I visited them today, there was lots of activity at the entrance of each hive, more activity than the neighboring hives, which leads me to believe they are doing well.

1 comment: