Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Second Hive inspection

It has been 12 days since the packages were installed and time for another inspection. This time I brought along the video camera so that I could show Ellie what the Droogies have been up to, and it also allows me to share it with you (warning: it is long and potentially boring)

Both hives are still taking lots of syrup. I didn't see any capped brood in either hive and had a hard time seeing eggs because the comb is so white. I'm a bit nervous that the queens are not laying, but it is potentially too early to see capped brood. I did see the queen in Droogie 2, so I am at least relieved that she's there. Both boxes have drawn out 7/10 of the frames and filled them with lots of nectar (probably mostly just the sugar water I've been feeding them) and pollen. I decided to add a second hive body on each of the hives for brood, just in case they need the extra space.

No comments:

Post a Comment